Thursday, August 28, 2008

Dreaming

I had a dream last night about my wedding. It was a disaster. Crazy things kept happening and Ron & I (yes, I was marrying Ron in the dream) had to keep postponing until the next day. But we had good spirits about it and remained determined to get married. I woke up before we finally did, but.....

I had another dream the other day - a nightmare, really - where I was being stalked by a man who wanted to kill me. I can remember running from this man, and hiding. I remember walking through the house with a flashlight every night - double-locking doors, checking corners and under beds. I never felt safe, I was never able to rest. That dream haunted me all through the next day as I was tense, on edge, and a little bit afraid.

A recurring image in my dreams is a male lion. I don't know what that means, but lions seem to pop into my dreams often.

I also dream often about running - running from something, running toward something, or just running. I don't know if I am trying to escape, searching or just enjoying myself.

My dreams often stay with me on into the next day (and longer since I can still remember these dreams). Yet others disappear without a trace. I don't know what they mean. I often do not know how to read them. I am not a skilled interpreter of dreams.

But I think I'd like to start writing them down, looking for themes, recurring images, and searching for meaning. There have been extensive studies about the significance of dreaming. And many (journal therapists among them) stress the importance of dream journals. Maybe I'll try it. What do I have to lose except my ignorance (of the meaning of my dreams)?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I hate those scary dreams that feel so real and leave you feeling horrible when you wake up. I think you should look into the lion and the running thing (I think I have a Kabbalah dreams book around here somewhere...)It would be interesting to learn about.
~Christy

Anonymous said...

The lion may represent a former male figure in your life (father, brother, ex-boyfriend) who you may be seeking approval from in your new life with "Ron".
I sometimes dream of all kind of tigers and lionesses stalking outside my house and I am inside trying to protect the children. Weird, huh? I guess we all have weird dreams now and then.
Fallen angel