Monday, October 27, 2008

What do I want from you?

Why I am writing this blog? What is my intention? Whom is my audience? I have only given the url for this blog to a handful of people - a few family members, some close friends and some writing friends, as well as instructors for my graduate studies courses. So what do I want from you? Well, as much as I have balked at this in the past, what I really want is "to be heard." Now, people say this at my writing class all the time and I get it, I do, but I have always questioned the notion. Writing - and reading your work aloud, just to be heard? Don't you want feedback? Don't you want praise? Don't you want advice? I used to think that was all there was to sharing work - constructive criticism, a pat on the back, advice on where to go next. But it goes so far beyond that I feel ridiculous for even mentioning it.

Writing (and sharing work) to be heard is about telling your truth, raising your voice and having the courage to let others know who you are and how you feel - and not expecting judgment, criticism or even praise. Of course I LOVE IT when you all write back with supportive and positive comments - who doesn't want to hear that they are good at something? But that's not what this is all about. I want to "publish" my work here and share it with you so you can witness and be a part of my "process." In essence, I am saying, "Here I am, this is me - this is what I think about, what touches me, what inspires me, what moves me. This is what is in my heart and in my head. This is my art, my passion and my dream. This is me, as a writer."

So what is my intention? My purpose? Who is my audience? I guess I am still figuring that out. But that's the wonderful part of the writing process - it is a journey. And right now I just want to enjoy the ride.

No comments: