Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Facing the Fear of Writing

A writing friend and I were recently talking about the fears many people have about writing. There is something that blocks us, something that tells us we "can't" or'"shouldn't" or "wouldn't know how to begin" writing. Perhaps it comes from childhood when we were taught the "rules" of writing, or from the many humiliating red marks on a writing assignment in school. Maybe we think we are not good enough or that writing is meant for someone else - someone more creative or talented or interesting or famous. Or maybe we think that what we have to say is just not that interesting.

Well, let me tell you this...anyone can write, anyone should write, and beginning is as easy as putting the pen to the page and writing the first word. We all have lives full of stories, adventures, opinions, comedies, and tragedies. We all have stories to share. What you have to say is interesting and wonderful and worth sharing with whomever is willing to hear it.

But there are still fears. Pat Schneider, author of Writing Alone and With Others says, "The first and greatest fear that blocks us as writers is fear of the truth we may discover." We often walk through the world oblivious to or perhaps ignoring who we really are inside, or what we really want from life. We shut ourselves off to the inner emotions so we can "get by" in the world. Facing these secrets is terrifying. What will happen to us if we discover we aren't living the life we really want? Or that we are in a relationship that makes us unhappy? Or we really wish we could be someone other than the person we present to the outside world? These discoveries can be scary and painful and confusing, but they can also lead to personal transformation that will change your life. Schneider says, " Where there is fear, there is buried treasure. Something important lies hidden - something that matters." And she continues, "The act of writing is a tremendous adventure into the unknown, always fraught with danger. But the deeper you go and the longer you work at your art, the greater will be your treasure."

So how do we begin writing when we are paralyzed by so much fear? There are many suggestions from experts in the writing field such as Pat Schneider, Julia Cameron, Natalie Goldberg, Tristine Rainer, and Christina Baldwin. Pick up a book by any one of these writers and you are bound to find useful, inspiring, and creative advice about the writing process. I should know, I have read everything these authors have written and much more. But I'll tell you what works for me, and it is probably the simplest, cheapest, and most portable form I know. What do I do? I just write. I get a notebook - any kind from a $.99 drugstore notebook to an elaborate, handcrafted journal. I get a pen - again, any kind will do as long as you are comfortable with the grip, color, and the way the ink flows across the page. Then I sit down anywhere - at home, in the car, outdoors, at a coffee shop, while waiting for an appointment, on a train, at a bookstore - anywhere. And I write.

I write about what is important to me at the moment or something I am planning. I write about my relationship or my family or friends. I write about how I am feeling about particular topics or something that pissed me off. And when I can't think of anything to write about or when I feel blocked or overwhelmed or tired or confused, I try other tactics. I describe what I see in front of me, paying particular attention to detail. I use writing prompts such as Natalie Goldberg's "I remember..." exercise. I play with words and sounds and try to create interesting combinations of phrases and poetry. I write quotes or song lyrics I can remember and go from there. I make lists. I jot down ideas. I even doodle. I do whatever I need to do, whatever I want to do to get the creativity flowing and the words down on the page.

There is never a requirement for how much to write, how often, or for how long. There is no right way to shape your writing in a set form or structure. There are never any rules about what you need to say or how you say it. There are no requirements at all, except to write. That's it - pick up the pen, put it to the page, and write. Face the fear, whatever it is, and just write.

Don't worry; if this is your personal journal, no one is ever going to see it unless you want them to. This is a safe space, for you and your words alone. No one is there to judge or criticize or laugh at you. No one is there to comment, raise their eyebrows, give suggestions, or make changes. This writing is yours. You are in charge of what is written and what becomes of that writing. Later, if you feel comfortable, perhaps you can find a way to share this writing with others. But until then, keep it as your own. Make your writing time special, sacred, important. Give this time and space to yourself as a gift. Use writing as a way to take care of yourself, appreciate yourself, even pamper yourself. Tell your story and let it live on the page, in your heart, and maybe someday, out in the world. Because it is your story - and it is important.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Fear is such a killer of creativity...a killer of life, really. Why is it so prevalent? You are absolutely right--everyone has stories to tell; may they find the courage to get it out there when the time is right.