Monday, May 4, 2009

Slowing Down Time

My niece, Camden, turned five today. And when she woke up this morning, my sister told me Camden said, "It's my birthday! I'm FINALLY five!" Like she had been waiting so long. I guess to a small child it seems like forever before you grow up. Everyone else is older, can do more, has seen more. Everyone else has more stuff, gets to take part in more adventures, has more responsibilities. Five-year-olds are just beginning.

I hope Camden doesn't grow up too fast. Her older sister, Madeline is already in first grade - impossible to comprehend! Camden will be starting Kindergarten next year. It goes too fast. Especially now that I live far away and can't watch them grow.

I wish I could slow down time and keep them little for a while longer. Pretty soon Madeline will be too cool to hang out with her Aunt Dawny, and Camden will shoot up like a weed. Their cousins Oriah and Braden are growing up fast, too. And now there's another one on the way. I just can't fathom the speed of time. One moment they are infants, cradled in your arms. And the next moment, they are turning five, or learning to tie their shoes, or potty training, or learning to read. Where did the time go?

Happy Birthday, Camden. I love you.

1 comment:

Christy said...

I know! Just wait until you have your own kids and they're 12 years old in a flash! It make me sad...but then there's this new person coming into being that's kind of exciting! sigh