Saturday, September 6, 2008

On the Road Again

I am leaving Wednesday for a visit back home to New Jersey. I am taking the train - 18 long hours - across Ohio, Pennsylvania and on into Penn Station in NYC. It has been a while since my last road trip. And though this one is on a train, rather than my preferred method of driving, I am still feeling all of the old excitement and anticipation of getting on the road again.

Songs like Willie Nelson's "On the Road Again", Janis Joplin's "Me & Bobby McGee", Fastball's "The Way" and The Indigo Girls' "Get Out the Map" keep playing in my head. These, and of course the classic Credence Clearwater Revival tunes are my familiar companions on the road. Back when we still listened to cassette tapes (yes, I'm old!) I used to make mix-tapes of my favorite road trip songs. Then when cds came along, I'd do the same thing. Now, traveling on the train cross-country (sort of) for the first time, I have uploaded my favorite cds onto my laptop and plan to kick back in my coach seat tapping my feet as I watch the country roll by.

I'll miss driving, I think. Given the choice I would drive anywhere. I've driven across the country quite a few times (often by myself) and have made numerous trips up and down the east coast. I've traveled through New England, the Midwest, all over Colorado, out to California, and many points in between and up and down. I love the freedom of it. I love taking rural highways and small country roads, stopping at roadside stands, exploring an unfamiliar town, and discovering unknown scenic beauties along the way. I love getting out my map to look for out of the way places, small towns and state parks & historic sites. I love being independent and going wherever I want to go - lingering a little longer at a site that interests me, taking a road I have never seen before, stopping when I want or driving on and on.

I won't be able to do that on the train. But it will be another kind of adventure. I'm excited. This is my first long train ride. I've never done it cross-country before. I really don't know what to expect. One great thing is that on the train, I can write.......so I'll let you know how it goes.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, Dawn, you make driving sound like so much fun! For me, driving is baby crying in the back, preschooler whining that he's bored, me getting lost and frustrated . . . the train sounds heavenly!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sharon--don't like driving so much! I'll take a plane any day of the week (even though I'm afraid of flying--go figure.) Have a great trip. Taking a train might be fun. My husband has always wanted to that--sleeper car; the whole thing. Have a safe journey. I'll miss you on Facebook!