Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Losing Julie

I am shocked and saddened by the loss of Julie, a writer and friend from my Tuesday morning writing class with Women Writing for (a) Change. I met Julie during our class last semester and always appreciated her honesty, wit and compassion.

I got to know Julie much better during a small and intimate writing retreat last fall at the Moye Spiritual Life Center in Northern Kentucky. During our weekend writing retreat, Julie and I shared writing, stories, laughter and snacks in the Girls' Cafe (she loved her Diet Coke!). Julie treated me with compassion and respect, kindness and friendship as we shared pieces of ourselves through writing and discussion. I will treasure the supportive and compassionate note she wrote to me after I read a particularly difficult piece in our group that caused the tears to flow. In that note, Julie congratulated me on my bravery and thanked me for sharing my work. I thank Julie now, for sharing herself.

It was my hope that I would get to know Julie better and hear more of her wonderful stories when we recently became Facebook friends and then began another writing class together with WWf(a)C this winter. Sadly, Julie passed away suddenly last Sunday.

Julie will be remembered and missed.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, Dawn,
Your piece on Julie makes me feel my loss of not getting to know her.

I love your blog.

Love,
Mary

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that, Dawn. As you know, I feel the same way. Didn't get to know Julie as well, though. She'd be glad we are writing!

Phebe

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! That's awful...so difficult. I love the fact that you are able to see the gift she was to your life even in the brief time you knew her--I'm sure she'd be happy about that.