Thursday, June 4, 2009

Where I'm From

Here's a free-write from the poem, "Where I'm From" by George Ella Lyon. When I say free-write, that means that I wrote freely - without worrying or editing or analyzing. This is just the way the words fell on to the page...try it yourself.


I am from beach sand and salt air,
From digging ‘til we reached water and
Mud pies in the back yard.
I am from painting rocks and riding bikes,
And learning to swim before I could walk.
I am from pungent odors from the Lobster Barn
And reeking low tide.
I am from itchy eyes and sneezing, the Memorial Day parade,
Summers at Spermacetti Cove, and sleigh-riding down the school hill.
I am from a single mom with three jobs,
A dad who never lived up to the expectation,
Fierce protection of siblings and
Diebold-Kuser wars.
I am from Marlboro Reds and Budweiser,
The step-daughter and the middle-child,
The fat girl and the best friend, and
The one who always got hurt in the end.
I am from road trips and heading out,
From secrets and hidden dreams,
From heart break and hope, and
Where do I go from here?
I am from listening and getting through it,
From “it’s not my shit” and “don’t cry out loud,”
From wading through flood waters and
Dancing in the hospital elevator.
I am from Jiffy-Pop and candle-lit dinners,
From concoctions and Chunky Beef over rice,
From making due and doing our best and
Never letting them get us down.
I am from who I once was to who I am now,
From transformation and evolution,
From a little bit crazy and a whole lot of fun,
From giving it all and wanting so much,
From wishing and hoping and dreaming and
Doing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So many memories flooded back to me in your writing. You took me on a short journey over our lives, snipping little moments or phrases here and there. I strove to be the brave mom who held together our little family of 5 and I remember all too well....that first day of the rest of our lives...we could do anything we wanted, as long as we talked about it....and as long as we were together. Thank you for making me who I was back then...you made me strong for all of us and the mother tiger defended the brood and taught them to be strong.