Friday, November 21, 2008

That Damn Bird!

I am freaking out about cooking the Thanksgiving turkey. This will be my first. Not only am I afraid to screw it up - since I have never done it before - but I am also totally grossed out!

You mean I have to reach my hand inside that thing and pull out a bag full of gook - gizzard, neck and who knows what else? You mean there might still be feathers attached that I have to pluck off before cooking? You mean I have to wash that thing, rubbing my bare hands all over the raw flesh of a giant bird? And I really have to get up before the sun to hoist that thing into the oven?

When it's done - cooked golden brown, steaming and juicy; slathered in gravy and resting comfortably in the company of mashed potatoes, stuffing, green bean casserole, biscuits and all the other fixings - then I'll enjoy it. But until then, all I can think about is having to deal with that damn bird!

No comments: