Friday, November 7, 2008

Three Skills

You have the power to acquire three new skills (Playing the violin, becoming psychic, running the mile in less than three minutes, etc.). What are they? What effect do they have on your life? (Prompt from the book, Writing Yourself Home by Kimberly Snow)

  1. I want to learn to be a runner. I want to be able to lace up my shoes, head out the front door and run – as far as I want, as long as I want, as fast as I want, as often as I want. Running will give me strength and toning. Running will give me energy and keep me fit. If I could become a runner, I could eat what I want (for the most part) and still maintain my weight. If I could become a runner, I could have more energy, more power, more balance and skill. Running would give me confidence (perhaps to even enter a 5K or a mini-marathon or something). Hell, if I can do that, I can do anything!
  2. I want to learn to fix things. I want to acquire miss-fix-it skills. I want to be able to fix things around the house, remodel and decorate. I want to be able to tinker with my car when it is acting up, or change a flat tire if I break down. I want to be able to depend on myself alone – not boyfriends, not family, not friends, not handymen – to fix what is broken in my life.
  3. I want to learn to dance. I don’t dance. At parties and weddings, in bars and even just alone in the house – I hear the music, I feel the beat, I want to dance – but I am afraid or self-conscious or just lacking the skill. So I sit. I talk with friends. I watch while others are out there dancing the night away. I do slow dance, occasionally, but rarely. But I want to DANCE. I want to get wild out on the dance floor. I want to stop being so shy or self-conscious or afraid – and I want to dance! What am I going to do at my wedding?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an interesting writing exercise. I'm with you on the running--I've never been a runner (and now, w/bad knees, I probably never will be.) And dancing...SIGH...I've forgotten how; or like you, I'm too self conscious now. But sometimes I miss it. :(