Thursday, February 12, 2009

Love is Strong

You do it out of love. Willpower is a weak idea; love is strong. ~Annie Dillard

What do you do out of love? What can you not live without? What is it that keeps you going; makes your heart beat fast and your adrenaline rush and your eyes brighten and your face glow? What do you love more than anything else in the world?

For me - it's writing. Journaling, crafting poetry, creating stories, making lists, writing my life - this is what I love. I love the blank page, so full of potential. I love the texture, the weight, the smell, the heft of a writing notebook or journal that is filled with the reflections of my days. I love the flat, white screen on my laptop just waiting for a story or poem, an essay or maybe even a novel. I love writing exercises and techniques, writing process and brainstorming. I love when the creativity burns inside me and I can write for hours without a thought. I love experimenting with styles, forms and genres. I love playing with words and images - making something come alive.

I love writing - everything about it. I write out of love. I write because I cannot live without it. I write because it keeps me going; it makes my heart beat fast and my adrenaline rush and my eyes brighten and my face glow. I write because I love it more than anything else in the world. That love is strong.

No comments: