Monday, April 27, 2009

Appetites

When I wrote the previous post last night, I was hungry. I had also been reading a book all day called Appetites: Why Women Want by Caroline Knapp about anorexia and women's desires and needs and appetites (not only food related!). It must have all gone to my head. Today, I am OK. Normal eating patterns (for a dieter, that is), fine mood, average day. I just want to be clear that I am OK, lest some of you read my previous post and begin to worry. It was a hungry kind of day and my mind was swirling with ideas and obsessions.

The subject of women's appetites does get the wheels turning....what do women want and why do we want it? Oh there's so many things I want, and so many reasons for wanting those things. Basic needs aside, there are the material things - a nice house, nice car, clothing, home items, entertainment items, etc. etc.; there are also the leisure activities - vacations to exotic or cultural places, long weekends, and days off just for fun are among those on the top of the list; and then there are the emotional things - and that list goes on and on. There are the desires for love and affection, for personal fulfillment and self-acceptance, for accomplishment and achievement. There is the need for companionship and comfort, personal safety and positive appearance. There is the appetite for freedom and excitement, new adventures and living fully. But then there is the desire to simplify - to get down to the bare essentials and just live life. How can one person want so much and so little all at once? And how does a woman even begin to express, take action on or fulfill these desires?

It seems as if the questions keep coming, the appetites keep growing. It seems as if it is a never ending circle of wanting-getting-wanting more. And I am not suggesting that is a bad thing. How else do we grow and learn if not by trying new things, wanting more, making plans, and reaching goals?

What are your appetites? What do you want/desire/need? Think about it. Write it down. Then take the steps to satisfy those desires and fulfill those needs. You deserve it!

No comments: