Thursday, January 22, 2009

Decisions

Here's a decision I have to make: work for someone else or go out on my own.

I have this opportunity to work for a local small business, tutoring students in writing, English, homework help etc. etc. With this opportunity comes the prospect of creating and facilitating writing workshops for the same students (and more) over the summer.

The pros: It's an established business with notoriety. It has steady clients. I won't have to worry about the whole issue of starting my own business yet. And the money's not so bad, either.

The cons: If I work for this company, the owner believes it will be a conflict of interest to run my own writing workshops out of my home. This is what I had been planning to do as I complete my master's degree.

So, what do I do? Taking the job right now is easy money - now - without having to lay anything out, plan or create anything or worry about advertising/marketing, etc. But then again, I'd be working for someone else again, when my whole plan is to do it on my own. I guess I could always start this job, get experience, make contacts and make a little more money for now. Then there's no stopping me going out on my own later. Ugh. Decisions, decisions!

Any advice? Comments? Help???

No comments: