Thursday, January 8, 2009

Inspiration

I just finished the book, Reading Like a Writer by Francine Prose. In it she discusses the many ways writers can find inspiration (and advice, information and more) by reading - fiction, nonfiction, poetry and more. She gives specific examples of how writers shape sentences and paragraphs; how writers play with narration and character development; and the intricacies of dialogue, details, and gestures. The book was in inspiration. It made me want to read all the classic novels as well as contemporary literature. It made me want to dive into a book and give myself over to the power of a story. It made me want to look deeper, closer, harder. And it made me want to write - to practice, to play, to create, to craft.

I am grateful for the inspiration. Sometimes I need it to get me going again. I learned much by reading this book, but I also took away this important piece of advice from the author, "Admit that you understand nothing of life, nothing of what you see. Then go out and look at the world (Prose, 248)." There is always something new to learn. And there is always a new perspective from which to view the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally...that reminds me of a Kabbalistic assumption that 'nothing is what it seems'. Truer words were never spoken. Another book I'll have to read.