Monday, January 5, 2009

I Don't Pray

It's the New Year....and it's time to start thinking about what I can do to make the world - and my little circle of it - better, happier, healthier, more peaceful, and more beautiful. So I've been thinking... and here are some of my random thoughts...

I don't pray (in the typical religious sense). But I do other things to better understand myself and the world around me, to get me through tough times, to propel me forward with positivity, and to send good thoughts to others.

I often say simple affirmations to help me feel good about myself, to set intentions for the day and to help me move forward with my day/life.

I think positive thoughts about family and friends that I believe ripple out to them in some way.

I write. And write and write and write.

I daydream. And set intentions to make those dreams come true.

I read my horoscope every day. Reading into the details of the celestial forecast often lifts me up, wakes me up, and advises me on where to go or what to do. It is a little karmic shake-up sometimes, that sets me on a path toward my "destiny." And though that may sound funny or corny or hippy-ish - it works for me. And it helps me achieve my goals and reach my dreams.

I try to stay positive - peaceful - and not let the little things get me down. Yes, things go wrong, they don't go my way, things break, things get lost. They are just things. I say again, they are just things.

And although I am not saying prayers to a Deity, a God/Goddess or some other religious icon - I think these things are prayers in some form. So, no, I don't pray. Not like you might or like you may hope I would. But I believe in the power of prayer - for self and others. And in my small, silly and unique way, I'll say a prayer for you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm right there with you...sort of. I mean, I believe in God, and I guess you could say that I pray by thanking him/her/the Universe for the gifts in my life, but not in the traditional sense; I'm not religious.

I think what matters is what you do, the energy you present to others and the world--I believe in karma too. You have to do what works for you, what speaks to your spirit and not what others want from you. :) You rock!