Friday, January 23, 2009

Is it too much about me?

Why does anyone write a blog? Do we write them because we have this basic need to be heard, to be known, to make our mark? Do we write them because we feel we have something unique to share? Do we write them because we just like to see our names in "print?" Is it selfish? Or is it perhaps a way to connect with others? Is it too much about "me?" Or is that why you are reading?

And speaking of those of you who read blogs, can you tell me why? Why do you spend your time (which I assume is precious to you) reading the ramblings of others? Do you think you might be inspired? Do you think you might connect? Do you think you might learn something? Why do you peer inside the lives of others? Is is voyeurism or interest? Is it to hear gossip or to give support?

I can tell you why I read and write blogs. I read them because I feel that each human being has their own story to tell and I want to support the sharing of those stories. And I write this blog because I want to share my own story. I am a writer and I have kept myself silent and hidden for too long. This blog is my beginning - my first attempt at getting my work "out there" to the world at large.

Now do not think I am foolish. I don't even know if anyone is even reading this blog. I get a comment or two from readers here and there but for the most part I write to this invisible, imagined "reader" - someone I hope is out there supporting me, cheering me on, reading my stories and hopefully, getting inspired to write their own.

So I'm sorry if this blog is too much about me.....but that's what I know and I think its worth sharing.

1 comment:

D B R said...

I felt that way too when I first started publishing my opinions. I'd email links to my friends expectantly. And then, nothing.

I'm slowly learning there are other scenarios possibly at work. For example, some people discuss things from my blog with me in person... which leads me to believe they're uncomfortable publishing their own words. There's also the short attention spans of human beings.

Gotta keep trying though. I'm gonna start posting an alert to my facebook page... hopefully that will drum up some discussion.